Re: Wireless networking in HURD

From: Stefan Siegl
Subject: Re: Wireless networking in HURD
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 18:52:29 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 12:50:09AM +0200, Máté Gergely wrote:
> May I hope to get a working wireless networking in Hurd these days?

well, that depends mostly on what card/chipset you'll use (and otherwise
on your developing skills) ...

> If so, what kind of devices work? And possibly: where can I find more
> information?

I've once ported Linux's PCMCIA core modules along with the orinoco
driver.  That one doesn't cause much trouble since it doesn't need any
firmware or such alike.

Other drivers might be ported but that involves quite some work since
the drivers (and the wireless api) included in GNU Mach are ripped from
Linux 2.2 (and suitable pcmcia-cs bits).

USB devices currently aren't supported at all.

cheers,
  stesie

PS: concerning the Orinoco, WEP works, WPA does not.

--
"Next song is about our sexual capabilities. It's called Nothing Humppa."