Bits Question

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Bits Question
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:30:37 -0700

Greetings,

I am finding the acronym "bits" all over the place, and presumably not
the "Binary digIT" kind.

I see directories in GNU projects regularly under this name and it looks
as though it has something to do with implementing platform specific
code under a more general interface. I checked the GNU Coding Standards
but couldn't find any mention of it there.

What does it stand for? Where, when, and what do we do with it?

Thank you.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Developer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred