Installing HURD on MacBook Pro

From: Colin V. Parker
Subject: Installing HURD on MacBook Pro
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 20:08:31 -0400

Hello,
I am trying to install the HURD on an old Intel MacBook Pro. I've searched around a little bit, but I could not find any testimonials from anyone doing something similar. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

I ran into trouble booting the HURD into single user mode. I was able to install gNewSense without trouble. Once I had gNewSense running I followed the directions at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd- install to create a HURD partition and boot it. The directions for what to do in GRUB seemed to work (i.e no errors reported) although after the module loads "e.g. [Multiboot-module 0x1c4000, 0x2cfe6a bytes]" it seemed to report different offsets and sizes than the instructions. But I proceeded anyway, until the "boot" command, after which my computer simply printed something like "Starting up..." and then stopped showing any signs of life (I waited a minute or two, no hard drive sounds, no nothing). It may also be relevant that the same behavior occurs when trying to run memtest86 (although, as I said, gNewSense loads fine).

So, even if no one has had similar problems, can anyone tell me if there is a way to get HURD to be more verbose about what it's doing when it loads, or what might be causing the trouble? Presumably it's unhappy about something, but is there a way to get a more explicit idea of where the hangup might be?

        Any information appreciated.

        Sincerely,
                Colin Parker