Combining Hurd and Qubes OS for security reasons? Possible?

From: David Renz
Subject: Combining Hurd and Qubes OS for security reasons? Possible?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:26:53 +0100

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this mailing list, but already have many years of Linux experience behind me and have read a lot about GNU Hurd, which gave me the impression that it offers a quite high level of security due to its limited attack surface.

E. g., there are (not only on theoretical presentations, but also in the real world) so-called 'ACPI'- or 'BIOS-Rootkits', which are capable of manipulating Windows as well as Linux systems. Since Hurd follows a different approach of accessing hardware components, I often wondered whether this could make it resistent against those kind of rootkits, but I can't really estimate this considering several facts about those. (Maybe others would be able to guess whether a Hurd-based system could be manipulated by any kind of malicious code hiding in (flashable) firmware components [this problem also affects PCI devices' firmware and other components...].)

Wouldn't it potentially increase one's security by many times, if one would be able to let (e. g.) Debian Hurd as a template VM on top of a Qubes OS system? I'm sure it would be really difficult to put this idea into practice, but basically this should be possible to do, or am I missing a fact which make this be impossible?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

David