Re: Hurd SMP Project sketch

From: Almudena Garcia
Subject: Re: Hurd SMP Project sketch
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 00:32:53 +0200

Hi Paul:

I'm a Spanish Computer Engineering student.   I have studied subjects like Computer Architecture and Operating System Design, where I learn a few internally concepts about processors, schedulers, MMUs... I am not an expert, I'm only a student, but I think that this knowledge, with a few helpful of experts,  can be enough to get finish this project.

In July, I did the first try, writing an ugly implementation of cpu_number() and intel_startCPU() functions, but this didn't run.
You can view my work in https://github.com/AlmuHS/GNUMach_SMP

But, after this try, a friend said to me that the real problem is that gnumach don't do the processor configuration to enable multiprocessing. (currently, It's only multithreading, he said), so I decided to restart the project from scratch, adding the hardware configuration needed to get a real multiprocessor support.