Re: System Program

From: iitohlidub
Subject: Re: System Program
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 10:17:12 +0900

> Please, we are students from computer science department. We were asked to
> develop a system program as service to and then try to add it to the GNU HURD
> microkernel. Actually we must choose a service that does not exist in Hurd
> os. Can you help us to recognize that please?

Interesting project!

I am extremly inexperienced with GNU Hurd usage, much less development, but
maybe I can give a few tips.

First, your explanation of the assignment is a little unclear. The GNU Hurd is
different from the microkernel---GNU Mach---it's built on top of. If your
assignment is to build a "service", then maybe this means to build a Hurd
translator (https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd-paper.html#translator)?

In any case, since it sounds like this is your first time looking at the Hurd,
your best first step is to probably read existing documentation:
https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/documentation.html.

Good luck and have fun!