Re: Hurd from scratch?

From: Flávio Cruz
Subject: Re: Hurd from scratch?
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 21:41:45 -0400

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 5:57 PM Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> wrote:
Hello,

Peter Wiehe, le mar. 05 juil. 2022 22:52:04 +0200, a ecrit:
> Is there a document describing a manual installation of Hurd? You know, like
> Linux from scratch? I looked through the Hurd docu I could find, but I couldn't
> find something.

I'm not aware of any, but you can get details of the
gnumach/hurd/glibc/gcc bootstrap dance in the cross-compilation
documentation, it's basically the beginning of Hurd-from-scratch. Once
you have gnumach/hurd/glibc/gcc done, the rest should be extremely
similar to Linux-from-scratch, since in both cases it's just the GNU
system, whatever the kernel :)

It is not a manual, but some time ago I wrote some scripts that do just this: https://github.com/flavioc/cross-hurd
They are relatively easy to follow but I haven't run them in a while so you could hit some roadblocks.

Flavio

Samuel