help-libidn

Re: libidn 1.36 on Solaris 11.4

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn 1.36 on Solaris 11.4
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 20:35:28 +0200

Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
>> > On Solaris 11.4, the build fails like this:
>> > ../libtool[1720]: eval: syntax error at line 1: `|' unexpected
>> > gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:1621: libidn.la] Error 3
>> >
>> > The fix is to use attachment 42206 from
>> > <http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?9467>
>> > (on top of the newest libtool release 2.4.6).
>>
>> Thanks -- patching the libtool used by libidn is fragile and time-
>> consuming.  Are there any well-established patterns to do that?
>
> In libidn, you commit files brought in through gnulib-tool in the repository.
> Therefore it would make sense to commit m4/libtool.m4, m4/lt*.m4, and
> build-aux/ltmain.sh in the repository as well.
>
> That's what I do e.g. in libunistring.m4 [1]. You can see that this costs
> me only one commit for each new libtool release - plus one commit to fix
> libtool bugs.[2][3]
>
> Fragile? This is actually less fragile than what you currently do, namely
> rely on the 'libtool' command that is installed on the machine on which you
> produce the tarballs.

Hi Bruno.  Eventually I agreed with you.

> I think your cfg.mk won't even need a change.

I had to stop using 'autoreconf --force' to prevent autoreconf from
overwriting the local libtool files, but otherwise you were right.

Patch installed as follows:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/commit/?id=cb6fecf2f54a64c83190ac518cb8e699d2c3c6bd

Let's hope this doesn't cause new build problems, I always used libtool
from Debian before and they add some other fixes.  I'm going to make
another 1.36 pre-release to allow testing...

/Simon