help-libidn

Re: libidn malloca compile fails GNULIBHEADERS_OVERRIDE_WINT_T not set

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn malloca compile fails GNULIBHEADERS_OVERRIDE_WINT_T not set
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 10:52:25 +0200

Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@SystematicSw.ab.ca> writes:

> Aargh!
> It's back and I can now see lib/wint_t.m4 downgraded to serial 5 while
> gl/wint_t.m4 retained as serial 11!

Yes, this happens if you (directly or indirectly) run 'autopoint
--force' in the extracted tarball directory.

> Could you please check your current build release of
> gettext-dev/devel, see where it's sourced from, where it's built, and
> if it's got any local patches for wint_t.m4?

We get wint_t.m4 from gnulib, and the other gnulib m4 macros (stdint.m4)
rely on getting the right wint_t.m4.  Gettext's autopoint pulls in an
older wint_t.m4 for you.

I'm not sure what the best upstream approach to this problem is.
Traditionally, users just unpack the tarball and build the package.
Nowadays, people often run autoreconf etc to make sure they are
re-building from source code, and that makes some sense.  The problem is
that there is no stable way to re-bootstrap projects from a tarball
release generically.  Running 'autoreconf' was not intended to serve
that purpose, I think.

/Simon