help-libidn

Re: Fix Win64 oddity in libidn 1.38 stringprep

From: Francesco Pretto
Subject: Re: Fix Win64 oddity in libidn 1.38 stringprep
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 13:49:22 +0100

On Tue, 22 Feb 2022 at 11:35, Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:
> > This issue should trigger only with MSVC family of compilers. Do
> > you test MinGW-w64 builds?
>
> Yes, that is the intention at least:
>
> https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn/-/jobs/2114691787
>
> Why does it happens only on MSVC?  If I understood correctly, 'long' is
> 32 bit on Win64, and should be with MSVC as well.

Yes, correct. I also see that it should be the same in MinGW-W64[1].
I am not sure why you don't observe similar issues on your CI,
but the cast on[2] may certainly be problematic since it's casting a
64 bit pointer (gssize_t -> ssize_t -> 64 bit on Win64 as defined
here[3]) to a 32 bit one.

> How did you build libidn using MSVC?  The windows/ project files?

Yes, windows/ project files, but I had to upgrade them to work on x64.

Regards,
Francesco

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/support-requests/166/#423b
[2] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libidn.git/tree/lib/nfkc.c#n1019