help-libtasn1

Re: Performance drop with 4.8 release

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Subject: Re: Performance drop with 4.8 release
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 18:18:42 +0200

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Henrik Andersson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have seen a drop in performance using libtasn1 4.8 release when our
> tool works over a set of crls. Our input crl has 47815 entries and the
> time to process over this set is doubled compared to 4.7.
> We have identified that the offending commit is
> 62cb6fab75ee9a4fc2925104896980d40862a89f.
> As we experience there are obviously a performance boost with the
> _asn1_find_up() optimization, which was reverted in the commit above.

Hi,
 The reason I dropped the _asn1_find_up optimization is because I
wasn't convinced that there were not any unintended side-effects from
it (e.g, when modifying a structure) that could lead to crash. I had
no time to verify that so I decided to drop it instead. However, if
you could make a convincing point that this optimization doesn't cause
any side-effects on read-write structure or can provide a better fix,
I'm all for including it in a future release.

regards,
Nikos