help-libtasn1

Re: Build issue since version 4.18 using gcc-4.9

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Build issue since version 4.18 using gcc-4.9
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 12:13:47 +0100

Vincent Fortier <th0ma7@gmail.com> writes:

> While preparing a gnutls update I ended-up updating libtasn1 from
> 4.16.  Going to 4.17 works but anything after that fails with:

Thanks for the report!  I can reproduce this using:

./configure ac_cv_func_explicit_bzero=no CPPFLAGS="-std=c99"

In other words, the problem is due to a combination of a platform
without explicit_bzero and forcing GCC into C99 mode where it doesn't
support 'asm', so it is not possible to implement 'explicit_bzero'.  Why
do you hard code -std=c99?  Try just removing that.  Or use -std=gnu99'
to allow GCC to use 'asm'.

Analysing further, the 'explicit_bzero' function is only used by
'read_file' in a mode that we never use (for reading sensitive files),
so it is never needed by libtasn1.  This is not ideal, but I'm not sure
what a maintainable solution is.

/Simon