help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Extra maps package

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Extra maps package
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:25:29 +0200

HI,

Kasper Hviid a écrit :
> I'm a trifle nervous that the "LW6 expansion pack" might be kind of
> forgotten by the players.
You're perfectly right. I have the same fear.

Note that this "expansion pack" is not limitative, we can always to
decide to distribute an "all in one" package. AFAIK, there are three
ways Liquid War (5) is distributed today:
- - downloads of the source code on my website, compilation on GNU/Linux,
Mac OS/X, whatever, while I tried to make this "as easy as possible", it
remains a hacker's job
- - out of the box packaging for Debian, Mandriva (and others?...) users.
Simlpy say "I want LW", then the system pulls out whatever package you need.
- - binaries (in general, for MS Windows, sometimes for Mac OS/X too) that
have gone "their own way" and are offered on various websites, on CD-ROMs...

In fact the split I'm talking about mostly affects the first channel of
distribution (compilation from the source for technical users), but as
far as GNU/Linux distribution packaging and third party MS Windows game
distributors are concerned, in any cases they do pretty much whatever
they want. The best we can do is give a hint "hey, this might be
optional you know, if size or simplicity matters for you, just strip
this off".

> But besides that, < 10Mb sounds like a fine
> size, and 15 levels are more than enough to make the game appear
> polished. So all in all, it sounds like a good choice!
OK.

> BTW, we talked about physics in games. That reminded me of the Faling
> Sand Game, which let pixels represents elements like sand, oil, water,
> fire, etc. Here are some screenshots:
> http://www.piettes.com/fallingsandgame/screenshots.html
Very interesting link! I surely must see that, there might be..., err,
no, there are without any doubt many interesting ways to handle pixels
"à la" Liquid War, that is, considering they are independant but being
interested only by the mass behaviour. In fact, it's exactly the same.
I'd be frankly surprised if I didn't come out with some new algorithm ideas.

> BTW2, I have attached a map.png, which still need its texture.jpg.. I
> think it's kind of pretty ...
You think right 8-) The typical wrap-arround level!

Have a nice day,

Christian.

- --
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/
"Les amis de la vérité sont ceux qui la cherchent et non _/ /   /_ o_\
ceux qui se vantent de l'avoir trouvée" - Condorcet     (__/      \/