help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Getting ready for 0.0.8beta

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Getting ready for 0.0.8beta
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 03:04:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Fri, October 30, 2009 3:28 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> This sounds unbelieveable cool, especially combined with various fighter
> settings. The game has a lot of variation now. We will need some standard
> way to represent the different zones graphically -- a skull could
> represent
> danger, rough surface could slow down, while ice makes you faster. Things
> like that. It would be smartest to design it directly in texture.jpeg.
I want to see that ;)

> Sounds really good! Things seems to be moving very fast now ... !
Yeah, BTW, maybe we should some way to get code & maps be ready together
for a given release. I'm currently trying to set up some shell wizardry
(no kidding, it's a 20 lines program ;) ) to make "snapshots" of the game
which one can download in a more easier way than setting up all this Arch
stuff. The point is not just to make a tarball of the depot, but also
compile it, run the whole test suite and *then* make a tarball. Sort of
automated distcheck. I'm aware there are frameworks to do that but well,
we'll move to a build-farm infrastructure when it will be needed. Not now
yet.

This, just to say that HAPPY GNU/LINUX USERS will soon be able to have
nice snapshot tarballs, with no blatant compilation flaw, on a regular
basis. Say, daily, unless I break the depot.

For others (you, for instance, Kasper) there's always the solution to wait
for official releases. But again, you won't be able to make (unless you do
it "blind") a 0.0.8beta compatible map *before* this one is released.
Chicken and egg problem... An option might be to try and install a
GNU/Linux system, or maybe install a build environment on MS-Windows. This
is described here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/manual/html_node/Compilation-tips.html
Looks hairy but in fact you can technically "jump" to the end and start
only at "download and unzip msys-for-liquidwar6-20080819.zip". That's what
I do, to be honest, I just unzip this file, run msys.bat, untar LW6, and
run ./configure && make && src/liquidwar6

Have a nice day,

ufoot.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__