help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] translations

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] translations
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:44:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, July 14, 2010 7:56 pm, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> MÃ¥ndag 5. juli 2010 skreiv Christian Mauduit:
>>Yes, finally, it's ready. It's currently uploading on:
>>
>>http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/liquidwar6/
>>http://ufoot.org/download/liquidwar/v6/0.0.8beta/
>
> Do you have an estimated release date for the final version?
> (I’m hoping to add a Norwegian Nynorsk translation in time for it.)
There will probably be no "final" version, as I plan the game to be
ever-ready-for-patch (LW5 for instance has still some bug fixes to be
released in an upcoming release, no hurry, but well, it's not dead yet).

So I think what you're talking about is the "6.0.0" release, I mean the
day I will release "liquidwar6-6.0.0.tar.gz". I tend to think it's a bad
idea to be victim of the "v0.99999 syndrom", that's to say postponing
forever the release of "final" expecting it to be perfect. It will never
be perfect, and if it ever is, it will be outdated. What I want is to have
proper network support before releasing 6.0.0, this is very important,
many things can wait, but this is a strong requirement, LW6 is much more
complex than LW5 in many regards, and this was done uniquely to have a
cool online mode. I initially planned to release that in 2008 but, for
sure, the deadline is missed. Now I expect basic networking things to work
at the end of 2010, and "real working stuff" to be in 2011.

As far as translation is concerned, some things can be done now, including:
- checking that translating process is OK, that's to say set up basic
files and try and translate 5 or 6 messages (the main menu for instance)
as a proof of concept. This can help fixing issues about special
characters, and such.
- checking that the game itself runs in the right language on your
platform. As far as GNU/Linux is concerned, it works well, but other
platforms might need some help, as GNU gettext enjoys being installed the
right way in a UNIXish-like fashion but does not always behave as you
would expect in a "per-directory" install as it's traditionnally done on
MS-Windows and Mac OS X. I suspect you're a GNU/Linux user (visited your
web site) but you might have access to some proprietary platform with your
locale on it.

In short:
1) -> I have no precise idea of when 6.0.0 will come, probably too late...
2) -> translating a few items right now is a good start, we'll see the
rest later

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--