Re: clock-skew detected

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: clock-skew detected
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:09:11 -0500

%% Koduvayur Subbalakshmi <address@hidden> writes:

  ks> I am using the latest version of make : 3.79.1

The problem you reported, where the timestamp is off by 10 years
(saying 2010 instead of 2000) is definitely a bug in GNU make 3.79 that
was fixed in 3.79.1.  Are you _sure_ you're using 3.79.1?  If you built
both you may be accidentally running the previous version.  Note that if
you're invoking make recursively it's _possible_ that the submake is
running the old version (although unlikely).

If you're definitely sure, then maybe there's some remnant of the bug
still left, although I haven't received any reports of anyone running
into this with 3.79.1 on Solaris 8.

  ks> The file server i am using shows a time earlier than my local CPU
  ks> (by about a minute). Could it be because of this?

Certainly you can get clock skew errors if the file server's time is
not in agreement with yours (although usually it only happens if the
file server's clock is _faster_ than the local system).

However, a clock skew error only for elements of an archive, where the
timestamp is way off (2010, as you reported) is due to this bug in the
code that I mentioned above, and not "normal" clock skew.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/