Re: depend on directory existance, not timestamp

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: depend on directory existance, not timestamp
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:43:07 -0500

%% "Henry Gessau" <address@hidden> writes:

  hg> I want to create a rule that creates a directory if the directory
  hg> does not exist, and another rule where a file depends on the
  hg> existence of this directory, but not how old the directory is.

You can't.

I always recommend against this approach (directories as prerequisites).
It can never work well with make.

If you're using GNU make, just do something like this:

  __dummy := $(shell [ -d $(DIR) ] || $(MKDIR) $(DIR))

(where I typically set MKDIR to "mkdir -p" on systems that support it).

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/