Re: *.java vs *.JAV on NT

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: *.java vs *.JAV on NT
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:07:56 +0200

> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:15:24 -0500
>
> I am using make v3791 (mak3791) on Windows NT (and obtained the same result
> with v379)
> When trying to create a Makefile for a Java project I encountered the
> following problem:
>
> The following rule is not working: %.class: %.java
> For some reason make never finds file with the extension *.java.
> My assumption is that because of the 4 letters extension the DOS shell gets
> confused.

Is the port of Make you are using a DOS (DJGPP) port or a Windows
port?  If it's a DJGPP port, that's expected behavior: DJGPP programs
cannot access long file names on Windows NT (they can on Windows 9X,
Windows ME, and Windows 2000).

For NT, I suggest to use a native Windows port of Make (sorry, no
URL).