Re: expanding $(%) in prerequisites

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: expanding $(%) in prerequisites
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:21:47 -0500

%% "William F. Dowling" <address@hidden> writes:

  wfd> the quoting seems to work fine, but I had to protect the $(BINS), else
  wfd> I get a shell syntax error when $(BINS) happens to be empty.

Yes, definitely.

  wfd> I am not wild about the dependency on Makefile.  Won't this give
  wfd> me spurious re-execs of make?

Yes, but you don't have any choice.

You need to have the include file rebuilt whenever the contents of the
EXE_NAMES variable changes, otherwise it won't work.  There's no other
way to do it than having it depend on the Makefile, except for putting
the setting of EXE_NAMES in some other file and including that; then you
can have the extradeps file depend on that EXE_NAMES setting file
instead.

Personally, I think that's much more annoying than the occasional
spurious rebuild of the deps file (which people will very likely hardly
even notice).

YM, of course, MV.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/