Re: unwanted implicit rule

From: Nicholas Charles Leippe
Subject: Re: unwanted implicit rule
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:34:29 -0600 (MDT)

> You can turn off implicit rules by running GNU make with the -r flag...for
> example:
>
> $ make -r all

A good suggestion.  I tried this.  Apparently, it seems to not
only disable the built-in implicit rules, but also the implicit
rules defined in the Makefile itself via a pattern rule, so
since I had:

%.ui.h: %.ui
cmds...

this rule is now missing and it still fails.  It does, however,
prevent it from getting the circular dependency.

As for suffixes, I'm not sure I really want to play with them.
I'm actually designing a Makefile/build system that I want to
work for just about anything--one of my design goals is to
rely on as many of make's built-in rules as possible.