Re: Make Not Setting Prerequisite List

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make Not Setting Prerequisite List
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:53:19 -0400

%% Kent Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

  kw> I am trying to compute a prerequisite list based on
  kw> the target's name. I have tried three approaches which
  kw> I would think would work but none have. In each case
  kw> the list of prerequisites ($^) is not set and make does
  kw> not attempt any recompilation. See the attachment for
  kw> the Makefiles.

  kw> Any ideas?

You cannot use any automatic variables ($^, $@, etc.) _anywhere_ except
within the actual command script for a target.

If you try to use them in the prerequisites list, they are unset and
just evaluate to an empty string.

See the GNU make manual.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/