helpfulness of --debug option

From: Peschko, Edward
Subject: helpfulness of --debug option
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 02:11:03 -0700

hey,

I am trying to debug a particulary nasty bug in glibc - which has *quite*
the complicated make files - and am having
great difficulty in doing this because of the lack of detail that make
--debug provides and because of the over-abundance
of detail that make -d provides.

What I would like is something that shows line numbers, line numbers inside
the make file  pointing where the target is being executed. A utility that
would do a pre-processing of Makefiles (compiling them and then dumping them
into
one massive makefile) would be helpful as well.

Anyways, does anything like this exist? If so, how do you execute it?

Ed