Re: Problems with using gmake version 3.79.1 on Hp-Ux 10.2

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Problems with using gmake version 3.79.1 on Hp-Ux 10.2
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:24:31 -0400

%% Aniruddha Shevade <address@hidden> writes:

  as> I am using gmake 3.79.1 on HP-UX 10.2. Each time after the build
  as> is done I get thw following error

  as> gmake[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.

This means that the clock on the system you're building your code
on and the one on the server (say the fileserver) where the code resides
are out of sync.

Since make depends entirely on comparing timestamps to know whether
things need to rebuild or not, this _can_ cause incorrect builds.  Of
course, make cannot know whether the build was incorrect or not for sure
(if it did, then it could just fix the problem).  So, if it detects a
situation where the clock seems out of sync it warns you about it.

You can either do all-local builds, or use rdate or NTP or something to
sync up the clocks on your systems, or ignore the warning.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/