Re: Multiple targets and make -j

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Multiple targets and make -j
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:40:11 -0500

%% Martin Schröder <address@hidden> writes:

  ms> I'm trying to make the makefiles of teTeX work with make -j.
  ms> Unfortunately they contain rules where one program call generates
  ms> multiple targets, like

  ms> pdftexini.c pdftex0.c pdftex1.c pdftex2.c pdftex3.c pdftexcoerce.h
pdftexd.h: pdftex.p $(web2c_texmf)
  ms>         $(web2c) pdftex

  ms> Here $(web2c) pdftex has to called only once and not 7 times.

  ms> Any ideas how to achive this?

As long as the relationship between the targets and prerequisite is such
that it can be expressed in terms of a pattern rule, you can do this.
See the GNU make manual, section _Introduction to Pattern Rules_.

For example:

  %ini.c %0.c %1.c %2.c %3.c %coerce.h %d.h: %.p $(web2c_texmf)
        $(web2c) $*

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://www.paulandlesley.org/gmake/