Conditionals based on compiler version?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Conditionals based on compiler version?
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:59:34 -0300

Hi all,
Is there a way to do conditionals in a makefile, based on the version of
the compiler?   (GNU make v3.79.1)

I've been trying to use 'ifeq' with combinations of "$(CC) --version",
$(__GNUC_MAJOR__), etc, but without much luck... :-(

Basically, what I want to do is something like this:

SOMEMACRO = whatever
ifeq (  {compiler version equals some version}  )       <- What goes here?
SOMEMACRO += more
endif

(Actually, what I'd really like in this case, would be a 'greater or equal'
operator, but if I can 'or' a bunch of version checks together, that'd do!)

Thanks for any help!
Ian

(Please CC me if possible - I'm not subscribed)