Equivalent Makefile setting for 'make -r' option?

From: gk
Subject: Equivalent Makefile setting for 'make -r' option?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 15:13:37 -0800

Is there any way besides command line option to invoke: `--no-builtin-rules'?

I was hoping for something like:
.SUFFIXES:
Does the above do the same as 'make -r'?

The manual is rather unclear on the difference between 'suffix rules' and 'implicit rules' and 'pattern rules'
Are they the same?

The manual implies they are differerent when it says:
 >"Suffix rules" are a more limited way to define implicit rules.
Pattern rules are more general and clearer, but suffix rules are
retained for compatibility.

Obviously the presence of builtin rules affects how a makefile works.
I do not want any built-in rules or suffix rules. I want to write all my own pattern rules and I don't want them to conflict with any existing suffix/pattern rules and I don't want to depend on users knowing that they must always type 'make -r' to build a project either.

- Greg Keraunen