gcc -M deficiencies; workaround?

From: gk
Subject: gcc -M deficiencies; workaround?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:06:03 -0800

Since gcc -M only returns prerequisite files included with #include directive, it cannot list prerequisite files accessed by fopen(), etc.

Of course a workaround is to manually add such files to the makefile but this is a bad solution since it requires developers to manually keep track of such things as source files change, incurring the same problems we find in recursive make situations.

I was wondering if there is any standard method in the C language context that people have found to address this problem.
I have found a solution in the PHP language context.

My makefile processes PHP script files to which I have included a function by which a source file can declare that it has a prerequisites other than by include() or require() statements:
<?php register_prerequisite_files( $array_of_filenames );?>

I then have a makefile rule which includes the source file, sending all output to /dev/null and then calls another function to retrieve the list of prerequisites:
<?php $array_of_filenames=get_prerequisite_files();?>

- Greg Keraunen
http://www.xmake.org
http://www.xmlmake.com