Re: Code Documentation

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Code Documentation
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:42:20 -0500

%% "Brian Healy" <address@hidden> writes:

  bh> I am a final year student at The University of Limerick in Ireland
  bh> studying Computer Systems. As part of my studies i'm doing a Final
  bh> year project on visualisation of the dependencies within
  bh> makefiles. Part of doing this project involves the correct parsing
  bh> of a Makefile. I am wondering if there is any documentation out
  bh> there that I could use to help me understand the parsing portion
  bh> of the gnu make program, or even better still is there anyone who
  bh> is familiar with it themselves and could answer any questions i
  bh> might have.

There is no documentation on the implementation of make except for the
comments in the code, that I'm aware of.

As for answering questions, I'm sure there are a number of people who
can help explain how makefiles are parsed.