eval function

From: Shipman, Alister
Subject: eval function
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:41:05 +1100

Hi guys/Paul,

Still trying to understand "eval" which could be very useful for me. Below is the bare minimum makefile which illustrates my problem.

********************************************************************************************************************multicast_CCSRCS = 1.cc 2.cc 3.cc

define RULE_MATCH_MACROS
libsl_$(1).a : $$($(1)_OBJS)
endef

multicast_OBJS := $(multicast_CCSRCS:.cc=.o)
temp := $(eval $(call RULE_MATCH_MACROS,multicast))

.SUFFIXES: .cc .o

%.o : %.cc
        @echo 'Reached object target'

Running this with the goal target libsl_multicast.a results in a "no rule to make target "libsl_multicast.a"

Any thoughts ?
Is their any way to view the makefile that is produced after make has processed all the eval statements, include files etc - like a compiler switch that allows you to just run the pre-processor and view the output ??

I'm really keen to get over this understanding hurdle (plus it can help make a really bad build system good !) - think I'm almost their - so again, your help is greatly appreciated :-)

Alister