Re: adding to existing makefile variables

From: Edward Peschko
Subject: Re: adding to existing makefile variables
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:13:30 -0700

>   ep> Anyways, I propose the following syntax:
>
>   ep> CFLAGS = '$(CFLAGS) -g'
>
> Is this something in the makefile or on the command line?  I'm confused,
> because I thought you said you didn't want to change the makefiles but
> the above looks like a makefile setting, not a command line setting.

On the command line. The idea would be that make would use the CFLAGS
environmental
variable, see that it contains a CFLAGS make variable, and then use that make
variable
plus the extra on the end of it.

In other words, it would force an 'override' to be set, without forcing the
user to
put the override in the file.

> Anyway, that syntax is not acceptable.  It is completely contrary to the
> rules that make variables use for expansion.  Plus make does not use
> quoting.

the quoting is a shell construct, forcing $(CFLAGS) to be seen as a literal.
Why is
it 'completely contrary to the rules that make variables use for expansion'?
Just curious,
I don't understand.

Ed