accessing command-script text

From: leon j. breedt
Subject: accessing command-script text
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:17:32 +1200

hi,

i have a bit of a weird query.

i'm wanting to fake Linux kernel 2.5 kbuild style output
(the quiet version).

i.e.    CC  something.o

my problem is that the "something.o" portion of my commands
isn't available as an automatic variable, but rather passed
after for example, the $(CC) in the command script.

in the kernel, they have something like:

quiet=quiet_
quiet_cmd_cc=  CC    $<
cmd_cc=        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) ...

and then an echo of $($(quiet)cmd_cc). but how can i access the contents
of the command script?

an example command script:

    $(WGET) http://someurl/somefile || exit 1

i want to echo  "WGET   url" in this case, but that's
nigh on impossible, unless i split each file to wget into its own
target...any suggestions?

regards
leon