error "Unexpected end of line seen"

From: Neil Galarneau
Subject: error "Unexpected end of line seen"
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:02:23 -0400

I have a customer that is reporting an error: "Unexpected end of line seen"
on a makefile that we provide in our product.

He sees the error on his Solaris 8 box running 3.80.  The same makefile
works fine for me on Solaris 8 running 3.79.1

He says he gets the error on every line that has a :=
He says that when he changes the := to = on one line, then the error
moves to the next line.

Any suggestions?

I am concerned that just changing all := to = could change the
semantics of the makefile.

Was support for := dropped in 3.80?

Thanks,

Neil

P.S. Here is a snippet from the makefile:

COURIER_HOME := /home/neil/JMSC2.0
JAVA_HOME := /opt/j2sdk1_3_0
SYS:=$(shell uname -s)
ifeq ($(SYS),SunOS)