Re: '--' inserted into MAKEFLAGS

From: gk
Subject: Re: '--' inserted into MAKEFLAGS
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:58:17 -0700

At 05:17 PM 6/26/2003 -0400, you wrote:
I think it might be necessary.  What if you had:

  $ make -- -FOO=bar

I think without the -- this would cause problems.

I don't know why anyone would want to begin a variable name with '-' but interesting thought... However it appears to be broken: it DOES cause problems because make does not insert the '--' in that case.

Normally, by default, overrides are passed to submakes, but this example, they aren't. Seems to be a bug. I tested passing option to submake: $(MAKE) -k baz, with the same results.

# Makefile

$(warning MAKEFLAGS=$(MAKEFLAGS))
bar:
        @#$(warning MAKEFLAGS=$(MAKEFLAGS))
        $(MAKE) baz
baz:
        @#$(warning MAKEFLAGS=$(MAKEFLAGS))
#eof

address@hidden junk]$ make -k FOO=foo bar
Makefile:3: MAKEFLAGS=k
Makefile:5: MAKEFLAGS=k -- FOO=foo
make baz
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/apache/htdocs/common/test/junk'
Makefile:3: MAKEFLAGS=wk
Makefile:8: MAKEFLAGS=wk -- FOO=foo
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/apache/htdocs/common/test/junk'

address@hidden junk]$ make -- -FOO=foo bar
Makefile:3: MAKEFLAGS=
Makefile:5: MAKEFLAGS=-FOO=foo
make baz
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/apache/htdocs/common/test/junk'
Makefile:3: MAKEFLAGS=w
Makefile:8: MAKEFLAGS=w
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/apache/htdocs/common/test/junk'
address@hidden junk]$

- Greg Keraunen
http://www.xmake.org