Hierarchical automatic variables?

From: Peart, Jonathan E
Subject: Hierarchical automatic variables?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:42:50 -0700

According to the gmake manual, the automatic variable $? gives you "The names
of all the prerequisites that are newer than the target, with spaces between
them."
That only works on one level of hierarchy.  What if I wanted the names of all
prerequisites of the prerequisites of the prerequisites, etc etc.