Re: gmake: How to delete Pref3$1.class

From: Alexander Farber
Subject: Re: gmake: How to delete Pref3$1.class
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:19:02 +0000

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:12:24AM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> Look in the section "Basics of Variable References":
> > To substitute a variable's value, write a dollar sign followed by the
> > name of the variable in parentheses or braces: either `$(foo)' or
> > `${foo}' is a valid reference to the variable `foo'.  This special
> > significance of `$' is why you must write `$$' to have the effect of a
> > single dollar sign in a file name or command.

Yes, but this doesn't work for me:

newhope:alex {1011} cat Makefile
all:
        touch $$test
clean:
        rm $$test
newhope:alex {1012} gmake all
touch $test
usage: touch [-acfm] [-r file] [-t time] file ...
gmake: *** [all] Error 1
newhope:alex {1013} gmake -v
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
newhope:alex {1014} uname -a
OpenBSD newhope.my.domain 3.4 GENERIC.newhope#5 i386