Re: target-specific variables

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: target-specific variables
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:47:59 -0500

%% Ken Smith <address@hidden> writes:

  ks> Perhaps I am missing something here but doesn't the following do what
  ks> you are looking for?  When I use the stdout redirection to stderr like
  ks> in the original (1>&2), I get strange behavior.  When I omit it, it
  ks> seems to do what you are looking to do.

  ks> t1: hallo :=$(shell echo hallo)

  ks> t1:
  ks>     echo $(hallo)

  ks> t2:
  ks>     echo $(hallo)

You're missing something: Sven wants the shell command to be executed
only if the t1 target is built.

The example he's giving, redirecting the output to stderr, is showing
that the shell command is being executed even if only the t2 target is
built.