Re: clean and cleandir question

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: clean and cleandir question
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:42:51 -0500

Not that it matters now since you've solved your problem, but your question
looks like it pertains more to imake than to GNU make.

Noel

Ipplepen wrote:

Paul,

Not sure what you mean by "standard"; there are no predefined targets
that come with GNU make.

Perhaps "common" is a better word to use then, and not standard.

There's no common target "cleandir" that I'm aware of, so we can't
suggest exactly what it might mean.

From my searching via google i've found the cleandir target in use in quite a few makefiles, hence my belief that it was a common target though obviously,
not as common as clean.

I was unable to find a clear definition of "cleandir" hence my
enquiry to this mailing list. My main reason for understanding its
use stems from the following lines in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/Imake.tmpl
installed on my std RH9 linux box.

/* Intercept clean rules for current directory */
#undef clean
#define clean cleandir

i can't figure out why this undef is needed and it was messing up
some imake rules I have named clean.lib etc... These were being
processed into cleandir.lib etc.. by the above lines so I wanted
to understand about cleandir.

Oh well. i've solved the problem now by putting

#undef clean

in my Imakefiles.

Thank you for your reply.

Pete