Re: makefile error output

From: Mike Maxwell
Subject: Re: makefile error output
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:21:06 -0500

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> Paul D. Smith wrote:
>> mm>     Make: *** Unable to make target foo.bar.  Stop
>>
>> Please do not paraphrase like this.  By not providing the _EXACT_
>> message you got, and the exact rule you wrote, etc. you are just
>> confusing the issue.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "paraphrase".  Apart from the name of
> the target file, that is the error msg word-for-word.  Here, I'll
> cut-and-paste the command and the error msg from the terminal:
>    > make tarsets/www.thinnai.com.stage2.tgz
>    make: *** No rule to make target
> `tarsets/www.thinnai.com.stage2.tgz'. Stop.

Oops, it has been more or less politely pointed out that I had originally
written "Unable...", when the actual msg was "No rule..."  I stand corrected
on that.  Unless I'm blind in one eye, and can't see out the other, the rest
is pretty accurate.  But it's Friday at 4 PM, and who knows...

    Mike Maxwell