Re: Parallel Make

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: Parallel Make
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:10:33 -0500

I agree that a lone -j shouldn't default to infinity for practical reasons. OTOH, a default of 1 would make the flag meaningless and a default of 2 seems unclean to me. IMHO, -j shouldn't have a default at all. Further, for those that like the infinite behaviour, I think allowing --jobs=infinity would help curb such an appetite a little.

Noel

Ken Smith wrote:

I read through the man page for GNU make and it looks to me like the following two lines should be equivalent.

c1 $ gmake A=B -j 4
c2 $ gmake -j 4 A=B

However, apparently c2 limits itself to 4 parallel jobs while c1 is equivalent to -j without arguments and spawns a limitless number of jobs.

Additionally, I would like to request that -j without arguments default to something more reasonable than -j infinity. I have seen novice users just throw -j without arguments on to the command line hoping for a speedier build only to irritate other people on the build machine when every process on the system crawls to a halt. I think -j without arguments should mean -j 1 or -j 2.

Ken Smith