Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: suppressing "No such file or directory" upon include
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:16:50 +0000 (UTC)

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there any way to suppress the "No such file or directory" error
> generated by "include" unless it's possible to create the included
> makefile?

I was thinking about fixing this some time ago but apparently to do
it right is going to be messy. As we know make gives an error message
with a file name and a line number if makefile is missing and later, if
it cannot be built, make just says "unable to build...". Now if we are
to postpone the first message until rebuild time then we'll need to store
this file:line information somewhere. And that's where things get messy.

> I'd rather not use -include because it ignores errors altogether.

My "meantime solution" is to change include to -include once things
get stable.

hth,
-boris