Re: shortcut of ":" but not /bin/true

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: shortcut of ":" but not /bin/true
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:42:42 -0400

I was thinking more upon startup, but you're right, the performance hit may not be worth it. Maybe a lazier approach might work, though. For example, what if this test were done when it sees that it needs to know whether the command is a built-in or not? Of course, once the test is done, it won't need to do it again for future executions of the command.

Anyway, from what I understood of David's numbers, perl will build only 1%
faster.  Is it really worth the added complexity?

Noel

Paul D. Smith wrote:

%% Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:

  ny> I'm not sure if the following is feasible or advisable, but what
  ny> could be done is to test some common, simple things like ":",
  ny> "true", and "false" to see if $SHELL has it as a built-in.  Noel

When would this test be run, though?  Every time make starts up?  Only
when make is configured?  They both have potential issues (the former
being performance).