Re: cost of -MP

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: cost of -MP
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:01:07 -0400

.PHONY: my.h
my.h:

$ ls my.h
my.h
$ gmake
touch my.o
$ gmake
touch my.o

IOW, things dependent upon a .PHONY will be rebuilt regardless of the
dependency's timestamp.  Empty targets are treated differently.

Noel
Boris Kolpackov wrote:

Noel Yap <address@hidden> writes:
I misunderstood. When you said PHONY targets, I thought you meant it generates ".PHONY: my_header" as well, not just an empty target.

No, gcc generates just

header.h:

And since there are no commands for this target make assumes it is
phony.

-boris