VPATH Object file search optimization

From: Ricky Venable
Subject: VPATH Object file search optimization
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:13:12 -0500

I've noticed that my makefile had a good deal of overhead looking for object files. For a clean build, my makefile searches through all of VPATH looking for the object files. I only store object files in one directory, so it is a waste of time for make to search all of the source directories for object files, when I know they are not in there. I hoped that the statement "vpath %.o" would clear the path for all .o files, but of course it still looks through all of the VPATH directories. The only solution I can think of is to not even use VPATH, but to use vpath for each of my file types. This of course looks more clumsy, so I am wondering if there is another way.

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/