Re: make error: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make error: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:11:55 -0400

Please don't mail me directly; the mailing lists are better for these
questions.

%% Luc Bressinck <address@hidden> writes:

  lb> It means nothing to me.

In your situation it almost certainly means you have a rule in your
makefile that contains two colon, like:

    foo : bar : baz

That's illegal syntax... and they don't have to be space-separated; this
is also illegal:

    foo: bar:baz

  lb> The Imakefile I got is:

The Imakefile is useless.  Make can't parse Imakefiles.  They are run
through the C preprocessor (!) and a "normal" makefile is created.

_That_ is the makefile that make processes, the one that's giving the
error, and the one you have to look at to see what's wrong.