RE: multiple default goals

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: multiple default goals
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:30:04 -0400

%% hotquietday <address@hidden> writes:

  >> If the target doesn't exist then obviously the prerequisite is
  >> newer.  It doesn't look to me like your rules ever create the
  >> target files (createDll or createJava), so the prerequisites will
  >> always be newer and they will always be rebuilt.

  h> That makes sense.  In fact, createDll and createJava are not files.

Nevertheless, make works by comparing the timestamps on files.

Consider this: how can make know whether it has already run the rule or
not?

  h> I just created them as a way of grouping together the Java piece of
  h> the code and the native piece.  Would they be called phony targets?

No.  Read about phony targets in the manual.  The commands for a phony
target are run _EVERY_ time, which is manifestly not what you want.

  h> In any case, what I want is for those java commands to be executed
  h> only when Ocr.java has changed.  With the object files, I want them
  h> to be recreated and relinked whenever one of their dependecies
  h> changes (this is determined mainly by implicit rules).

Changed compared to _what_?  How can make know it has changed?

  h> What is the proper way to get this effect?

I described it in my previous mail.