Re: Make's implicit rules

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make's implicit rules
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:44:11 -0400

%% "Benjamin Lau Wei Yii" <address@hidden> writes:

  blwy> Excuse me, but I was just wondering, is the current version of
  blwy> make's implicit rules for constructing a .o file out of a .c
  blwy> file by using the command cc -c filename.c -o filename.o, as
  blwy> stated in your documentation?  Beacuse I am using GCC and need
  blwy> to use make for some of my projects.

Make's configuration attempts to determine whether your compiler
recognizes the -o option; if so it will be used.  If not, not.

You can see what make's internal builtin database looks like by running
this command (this if for UNIX; presumably something similar could be
done on other platforms--if nothing else use an empty makefile instead
of /dev/null):

    make -pf/dev/null