Re: a small suggestion to make

From: Johan Bezem
Subject: Re: a small suggestion to make
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:43:33 +0200

Hi,

address@hidden wrote:
... If the include begin with "-" or the shell command
begin with "@", then make output only give the error
target, without more information.

From the manual, section "Including other makefiles":
 If you want `make' to simply ignore a makefile which does
 not exist and cannot be remade, with no error message, use
 the `-include' directive instead of `include', like this:

    -include FILENAMES...

 This acts like `include' in every way except that there is
 no error (not even a warning) if any of the FILENAMES do
 not exist.
From the manual, section "Command echoing":
 Normally `make' prints each command line before it is
 executed.  We call this "echoing" because it gives the
 appearance that you are typing the commands yourself.

 When a line starts with `@', the echoing of that line is suppressed.

I personally use a variable to contain '@' or not, like "export YT_S=@", and prefix all
(relevant!) command lines with "$(YT_S)", so I can switch on the echoing at will.
The ".SILENT" special built-in target (without prerequisites) is far too global for my
taste, and I could also create a shell-alias for "make --silent".

I also found there are some other complain in internet
about --debug or -p output information is not readable
or enough for makefile developer. :-(
To me, there are two information is important:
1. what the shell command is execute.

See above, about '@'.

2. which makefile the current shell command locate in.

See the make 3.80 manual, section "The Variable `MAKEFILE_LIST'".
While not exactly what you want, you can get at least some help as to which
makefiles have been read.

I'm not familiar enough with make's sources to comment on your adaptations.

HTHA,

Johan
--
JB Enterprises - Johan Bezem         Tel:   +49 172 5463210
Software Architect - Project Manager Fax:   +49 172 50 5463210