Re: newbie question re dependencies

From: Scott
Subject: Re: newbie question re dependencies
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:55:42 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:28:02PM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> Target-specific variables are only resolvable within the command
> script.  They are not set in the context of the prerequisites list.  So,
> all these variables are empty (or have their "global" values), and your
> target has no prerequisites, which is why you see this behavior.

Okay, thanks! It would have taken me a lifetime to glean that from the
documentation, though now that you point it out, I see it right there
in front of my big Swedish nose.

>   s> byprice.cgi : LOCPTH = /home/swani/web2/dat
>   s> byprice.cgi : DOMAIN = /domains/harvestview.com/cgi-bin
>   s> byprice.cgi : CHAPTERS = u40.lst u60.lst u100.lst u500.lst
>
>   s> byprice.cgi: $(BOOKPROG) $(DEFCODE) $(CHAPTERS) $(BOOK)

So, how to do this correctly? Eventually, I will have several targets
which will want different values defined for, eg, CHAPTERS as the
prerequisite. I suppose I need a different makefile for each? As I
say, I am fairly new at writing makefiles, so I would certainly
appreciate any illustrative examples you could give, or pointers to
someplace where there is a discussion simple enough for somebody like
me to follow....

Thanks for your help!

Scott Swanson