Re: Variable substutution for conditionals

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Variable substutution for conditionals
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:38:34 -0500

%% address@hidden writes:

  b> The GCC make requires ifeq else and endif. If I change the !IF
  b> !ELSE !ENDIF conditionals to ifeq else endif the make file will
  b> work (after adding code for the Linux flag settings). However, I
  b> want to have just one make file regardless of the compiler or OS
  b> being used.

Of course, GNU make supports Windows and OS/2 as well, so one option
would be to use it for all your platforms.

  b> I tried setting environment variables for ifeq else endif and then
  b> using the variables in the make file, i.e. (from the bash shell).

  b> IFEQ=ifeq

  b> $(IFEQ) "$(PLATFORM)" "OS2"

No, this won't work.

  b> Can I assume that the conditionals cannot be substituted with
  b> variables?

Correct.  Make looks for the static keywords "ifeq", etc.  It doesn't
expand the line before looking for these items.