Re: Including dependency files automagically + some basic pilot error

From: Ted Stern
Subject: Re: Including dependency files automagically + some basic pilot error
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:09:10 -0700

On 25 Jul 2005 at 12:59 UTC-0700, Angus Leeming wrote:
> OK, gentlemen, the only remaining problem with the attached makefile
> is that it fails if the .deps directory doesn't exist.

Directories change timestamp frequently.  I tend to use "touch" files
instead:

  %.T:: # don't go searching further down
        address@hidden -p $(@D); touch $@

  %.foo:  %.T
        rule to make foo

I use touch files in other circumstances as well -- you sometimes want
the timestamp to be measured at the beginning of a long process,
instead of at the end.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern
   dodecatheon at gmail dot com

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal